- MAS European and Chinese Business Management (65 ECTS)
- full-time study (1 year)
- part-time study (2 years)
- CAS Chinese Business Management (12 ECTS)
- CAS European Business Management (12 ECTS)
(The CAS programs are subject to approval of the course regulations by the University's Board)
Mutual intercultural understanding is of utmost importance when doing business in a globalized world. The Advanced Studies in European and Chinese Business Management address this well-known fact by:
- offering both theoretical and hands-on knowledge on international management in a Chinese and European context
- mixing students from both China and Europe in class, thus ensuring an accelerated learning experience in intercultural management
- offering European and Chinese faculty and guest lecturers from highly qualified professionals
- complementing the cross-cultural learning with a practice-oriented project work in an international company
These continuing education programs are jointly offered with New Huadu Business School Switzerland (NBSS). The curriculum integrates the setting of both University of Zurich and New Huadu Business School to offer top level courses on European and Chinese management. This setting encourages course participants to reflect their knowledge in discussions with their peers, faculty, and guest lecturers.
New Huadu Business School Switzerland is the first independently registered overseas campus of a Chinese public business school. Professor Edmund Phelps, Dean of New Huadu Business School, is 2006 Nobel Laureate in Economics. In 2015, New Huadu Business School got nominated as one of the Top 10 Innovative Business Schools in China.
You strive for the newest trends and aim at familiarizing yourself with "doing business in Europe" (Chinese students) or "doing business in China" (European/international students)? The programs address participants who:
- have a Master's Degree from an accredited university
- on an exceptional basis, students with a four-year university Bachelor's degree or a three-year university Bachelor's degree with at least one year relevant work experience
- have equivalent qualifications
All courses will be held in English. Applicants must prove that they have the necessary English skills for participating in courses and writing the final MAS thesis. Applicants are expected to have an entrepreneurial spirit and an international mindset.
More about the official admission criteria can be found here
Number of participants: max. 60
The next MAS course, composed of 4 modules, starts in August 2017 (65 ECTS).
Module 1 - Fundamentals: International Management (27 ECTS)
10 course-blocks à 2-3 days (Monday-Wednesday, 2-3 ECTS):
- Financial Accounting
- Marketing and Brand Management
- Innovation Management
- Macroeconomics, Development Economics and Future Economics Systems
- Business Ethics
- Research Methodology
- Personality and Positive Psychology
- Leadership and Human Resources Management
- Corporate Finance
- Strategic Management
Module 2 - Courses on management with a focus on Europe and China (24 ECTS)
10 course-blocks à 2-3 days (Monday-Wednesday, 2-3 ECTS):
Focus on Europe (= CAS in European Business Management, 12 ECTS)
- European Business Management, Government and Society
- Financial Industry - Money and Banking
- Management of European Multinational Corporations
- Case Studies on Challenges of European Firms Doing Business in China
Focus on China (= CAS in Chinese Business Management, 12 ECTS)
- Chinese Culture and Enterprise Management
- Marketing in China
- Chinese Macroeconomics and Policy
- The Art of Chinese Management
- China Goes Global - Cases Studies
Module 3 - Practice-oriented project (4 ECTS)
Participants must complete a practice-oriented project (in the form of an internship, case study, etc.) for a period of 4-6 months in companies/organizations. For European students it is recommended to do the project work in China, for Chinese students in European work environments.
Module 4 - Master Thesis (10 ECTS)
Students must write their Master thesis within the last 2-3 months of the program. The thesis will be written in groups of 2-3 students. The research theses will be supervised by the program instructors.
In addition to these four modules, elective courses will be provided which include seminars on the latest developments in the business world and Chinese/German language classes.
The teaching staff is made up of instructors from the University of Zurich and the New Huadu Business School, of invited guests from other higher education institutions, and of specialists with practical experience in cooperation between Europe and China.
- Ansari, Shahzad - University of Cambridge
- Beschorner, Thomas - University of St. Gallen
- Hémous, David - University of Zurich
- Lu, Zhiyang - New Huadu Business School / University of Southern California
- Mölleney, Matthias - HWZ University of Applied Sciences in Business Administration
- Mühlbacher, Hans - University of Innsbruck
- Oesch, David - University of Zurich
- Peng, Kaiping - Tsinghua University
- Ruch, Willibald - University of Zurich
- Wagner, Alexander - University of Zurich
- Birchler, Urs - University of Zurich
- Eichenberger, Reiner - University of Fribourg
- He, Zhiyi - New Huadu Business School
- Lu, Maozu - University of Strathclyde
- Qiao, Xuejun - New Huadu Business School
- Vogt, Patrick - vogt media consulting
- Wittmann, Xinhua - University of Zurich
Taught content is combined with practical exercises, discussions, exchange of experience, group work, and case studies.
Degree / Certificates
- Master of Advanced Studies UZH in European and Chinese Business Management (65 ECTS)
- Certificate of Advanced Studies UZH in European Business Management (12 ECTS)
- Certificate of Advanced Studies UZH in Chinese Business Management (12 ECTS)
- 12 months (incl. diploma ceremony), as full-time study
- up to 24 months (incl. diploma ceremony), as part-time study
- CAS EBM: 1 semester (2x2 weeks, each week consists of 3 course days)
- CAS CBM: 1 month, intensive (4 weeks, each week consists of 3 course days)
- Tuition fee of CHF 30'000.- includes attendance of all courses and seminars, internship/project work, all course material, exams and degree certificate. Travel and accommodation are not included.
- Tuition fee of CHF 8'000.- includes attendance of all courses and seminars, all course material, exams and certificate.
Switzerland and China
All courses from Module 1+2 will take place in Zurich, Switzerland.
The practice-oriented project work will either be in Switzerland/Europe (for Chinese students) or in China (for European students).
Faculty of Business, Economics and Informatics of the University of Zurich,
Prof. Dr. Harald Gall
The Advanced Studies in European and Chinese Business Management are accredited by EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System) and AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) and are part of LERU (League of European Research Universities).
Registration / Application
Application rounds for 2017/18:
- 10 December 2016
- 10 February 2017
- 15 April 2017 - deadline for students from Non-EU/EFTA countries (due to Visa)
- 15 June 2017 - for students from EU/EFTA countries
Download application form
The application form can be downloaded here
Once applying for the MAS program, you will be invoiced CHF 200.- (non-refundable) for application fee/processing fee. If you are admitted to the program, the application fee of CHF 200.- will be deducted from the tuition fee.